[governance] On "ad hominem" and "twisting words"

Daniel Pimienta pimienta at funredes.org
Wed Aug 14 22:00:54 EDT 2013

Garth,

I'm glad the "constructive provocation" virus is contagious and makes
more good old dogs barking ;-).

I do not think baby IGF shall be thrown out with the bathwater but
some bubbles in the water may help it grow well.

Besides nostalgy (and I could do the same with MISTICA community
which was vibrant at the WSIS time and also disappeared - but it will
not be fair to blame WSIS in that case), those are very interesting
toughts you are casting and provocative questions you are asking. The
issue of how locality (or at least glocality) is paid attention in
those global discussions is certainly a valid question and at least
we need to be reminded from time to time. Indeed, the world has been
more drastically changed by the use of basic Internet applications by
millons of people in many parts of the world than by our discussions.

You ask me which is better. I always have been reluctant to see the
development work area in terms of disjonctive alternatives; either
you do telecenter or not, either you do community work or not, either
you are in open source or not, either you are in the local or not,
etc...  I think the plurality and diversity of approaches is valid
and the point is to reach excellence in each one. The challenge is
how to articulate somehow those different approaches and here the
results are often frustrating (one of the reason is the human
tendency to consider own approach as the only valid). In spite the
WSIS civil society process was not capable to integrate all the
required diversity (and you are correct to remind us that), on my
experience, it has been quite a succesful effort in terms of
articulation and my frustration is that we have lost this momentum
and I wish we could regain it during times where civil society
influence has been decreasing while governments and some big players
from private sector decide our cyberfuture in a way I personnaly do
not feel comfortable.

But I am sure your reflections will resonate in this room and make
positive interferences with the coming discussions.

Cheers
Daniel

believed to be clean.