[governance] Re: [bestbits] Nominees to High Level meeting in Bali on "Global Multi-Stakeholder Cyber Ethics Principles"

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Aug 14 12:13:04 EDT 2013

Hi Anriette,

Thanks for asking those questions and more.

Comments below.

On Aug 14, 2013, at 11:59 PM, Anriette Esterhuysen wrote:

> Dear Adam
>
> I am sorry... I missed this question about the Baku declaration.
>
> Good question.. but.. counter question... if we want the IGF to become
> more outcome oriented.. don't we want ALL outcomes from IGF-linked
> processes to be reflected.. or should that apply only to events that are
> formally part of the main IGF?

I think we'd quite soon face the same situation as we kind of see now with open forums when they become quasi-workshops.  What I mean is, we are trying to create a fair and transparent process for the IGF adhering to various principles, side events would perhaps side-step those processes and principles.  So for now my answer is we do not want ALL outcomes from IGF-linked processes to be reflected. Not until we know what we're dealing with and have principle-based processes in place,

> I agree that it is good for governments to come to the IGF, and an event
> like this can help. I participated in the Nairobi event and it was
> certainly successful, but there was very little dialogue. It was more a
> case of one government after another showcasing what they are doing.
>

>From what I remember the Nairobi ministerial meeting it was very limited in the number of non-govt stakeholders, and wasn't intended to be multi-stakeholder.  The Bali meetings starts with the MAG all invited which makes 30+ (I think!), way ahead already.  But I expect it will still be rather dull, the intent to allow governments to make statements as they usually do in UN forums.  Exactly the kind of session we try to avoid in the IGF itself.  I am not sure why people want to attend.

> I would really like to see governments have an interactive dialogue with
> one another at the IGF on internet policy issues. But high-level
> protocol is a powerful force, and not one that combines easily with
> interactive dialogue.

You have to get them there first before they can join the broader dialogue and that was the intention behind the ministerial/high-level meeting.  Worked to a degree in Nairobi, not sure since.

Best,

Adam