[governance] On "ad hominem" and "twisting words"

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Wed Aug 14 06:48:36 EDT 2013

If I might extend Daniel's dog and caravan analogy - if the barking dog actually belongs to the caravan, and if it barks at a genuine threat, it doesn't get ignored.

Its master looks around to see what caused the barking - a thief rather than a stray cat?  And dogs that bark "appropriately" get listened to, and their barkign valued, compared to those that bark at stray cats or at other dogs in the caravan.

The same analogy applies -

1. Do we refuse to engage in a parallel multistakeholder process - which icann most definitely is - and criticize it from the outside?

2. Do we engage within the icann process and raise our voices for valid and legitimate concerns that the rest of the stakeholder community within icann recognizes and shares? (as in, a thief rather than a stray cat or caravan dog - both of which we might detest, but only one of which is genuinely significant to the caravan, something that the caravan's other members care about)

3. What is our bark rate, sorry, hit rate - how often do we raise our voices for infighting and to score political points over perceived rivals rather than partners, compared to making informed policy comments based on principled stands?

--srs (iPad)