[governance] CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY AND THE INTERNET

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Aug 12 14:15:50 EDT 2013

Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:

> I think we can certainly make a strong enough argument against
> blocking the internet or specific websites solely for political /
> other censorship [distinct from security and antispam related
> filtering] without having to use an extreme analogy like human rights
> violations.

Arbitrarily interrupting communications (I am not talking about
disconnecting a spam-spewing server or machines that have become
part of a botnet, but about intentionally disrupting the ability of
people to communicate with each other) *is* a human rights violation
in its own right.

I do agree though that some of the analogies that have been suggested
are so extreme to be inappropriate.

Let's not forget that there are people in the world today who suffer
from actual crimes against humanity and other most severe forms of human
rights violations compared to which any Internet-related issues that
do not lead to actual physical violence are mere annoyances.

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Recommendations for effective and constructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person