[governance] Identity and accountability as “civil society” (was Re: Message to the IGC)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Aug 12 05:14:10 EDT 2013

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro <salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It is quite difficult to fit people or organisations into boxes such
> as civil society, public sector and private sector in the world as we
> live in a world far more fluid than boxes can ever attempt to hold
> us. Attempts to categorise people and communities can be self
> defeating

Yes... still it is for many reasons important to have clarity of
identity, one of them being accountability.

I personally doubt the appropriateness of having a civil society caucus
that is not based on a clear definition of what is civil society and
corresponding assertions of those who participate as members (in the
sense of participating in the decision making processes of the caucus),
together with the willingness of those who make these assertions to be
held accountable to the implied commitments.

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Recommendations for effective and constructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person