[governance] Secret Surveillance Puts Internet Governance System at Risk

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Aug 8 11:56:40 EDT 2013

On 8 Aug 2013, at 12:46, Peter H. Hellmonds wrote:

>  If we want to prevent a Balkanization of the net,

Why is this a problem?

Any Balkanization will eventually be routed around.
Remember that the Internet is a network of networks, if countries are so isolationist as to want to isolate themselves they can and they will.  And then when they discover that culture and business requires re-joining the rest of the Internet, ways will be found to do that - not that they will ever really break away as there will be all sorts of circumventions to any break in the network.

For countries that are isolationist, any excuse will do.  I have never been able to understand the fear of this.  It is a trend that is already well under way and no event, even one as great as Prism etc is going to achieve more that to create yet another excuse for what they were doing anyway.

avri