[governance] Secret Surveillance Puts Internet Governance System at Risk

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Aug 5 04:06:14 EDT 2013

On 2 Aug 2013, at 18:35, Diego Rafael Canabarro wrote:

quoting:

> Secret Surveillance Puts Internet Governance System at Risk
> Friday August 02, 2013
>
> http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/6926/135/

> the U.S. has ceded the moral high ground on the issue.

Anyone who believes that any government anywhere occupies high ground is likely to be disappointed.  Governments, while unfortunately still a necessary evil in this stage human moral development, are not to be trusted but to be controlled and treated with suspicion by the people as much as possible.  sure there are good people in all governments, but government themselves are not those good people, rather they are bureaucracies motivated by a complex of intractable and often negative forces.

The high ground in Dubai was not an issue of which government should be trusted, it was the point of trying to remove all governments as much as possible.  Governments cannot be trusted.  History shows us that they never could be and it is only blind faith that indicates someday they may be trustworthy.  Of course when governments are the only voice we have for limiting government intrusion - as they are in the ITU,  the topic can get perverted.

But to view the confirmation of what we all knew, that all governments monitor all people at all times as much as they can get away with, as an excuse to give other governments more oversight is a bit confused to my mind.

I think all this has shown is that an Internet that allows any sort of government interference is likely to be used by those governments for their own purposes, whether they are, surveillance in the service of perceived terror, pedophilia or intellectual 'property' threats , the silencing of dissidents or the persecution of minorities such as the gay population and other cultural/nation/racial minorities.

While we can and must fight on the policy front to defend ourselves against the vulnerabilities created and already exploited by the current Internet's control points, we must put more and more focus into creating technologies and processes that protect us from government intrusion and must revise Internet architectures so as to eliminate the points of control that governments are so successful at exploiting.

avri