[governance] Multi-stakeholderism and the UN

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 19:19:25 EDT 2013

Buried in the middle of a list of resources provided earlier by Andrea Glorioso is the attached document <http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Flibrary.fes.de%2Fpdf-files%2Fiez%2F04244.pdf&ei=fd7-Ub2ZL87RrQef2YCQCg&usg=AFQjCNGEGKOoGYJKJY7rMP69O7HnH1nx3w&sig2=IkC-FE7ku7yLszYpexC6GQ>  which I believe would bear careful reading by various folks involved in this discussion particularly in light of the recent concerns over the UN and corporate capture. What this paper does is put our specific area of concern into the broader context of developments within the UN overall over the last decade and a half.

The document could use a bit of an updating (the broad trends identified have if anything accelerated in the interim) but casts an extremely well-informed and jaundiced eye on many of the areas of multi-lateralism (and multi-stakeholderism) with which we have been concerned.

In my own specific area of interest--ICT and Development--it would be very interesting and useful to extend the paper's discussion concerning the UN's Global Alliance on ICT for D (GAID), where a multi-lateral initiative with (very) limited CS involvement (the ICT for D Task Force) evolved post WSIS into the UN's GAID which then entered into a "partnership" with the corporate sector (Intel and it's then Chair Craig Barrett), who, seeing that there were no quick gains to be made, proceeded to lose interest and have the entire enterprise be allowed to fade into oblivion (whatever did happen to it BTW) to be replaced by the UN's, the 1% for development club, the Broadband Task Force.