[governance] Update from today's MAG call

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 01:11:00 EDT 2013

Sala,

I am surprised to be saying this, but I do not think that the recent  discussion has been disintegrating, at least not with respect to the points that I raised. Somewhat passionate argument does not imply disintegration; in fact, sometimes it helps to clarify the situation.

Let me be blunt.  I think that there is a tendency in some of the feelings expressed on this list to characterize other sectors wholesale, as being essentially the enemy, i.e. stereotyping entire groups on the basis of incidents involving a few.

My point is that there are individuals and organizational stakeholders in every group that have means and goals that are quite consistent with what a broad view of civil society would endorse.  I think that this focus on negative incidents and stereotyping is counterproductive for all parties involved, and that we would all be much better off if we looked for points of closeness of approach and possibly convergence across groups.

George