[governance] Update from today's MAG call

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Fri Aug 2 01:01:08 EDT 2013

At 06:08 02/08/2013, parminder wrote:
>new experiment in participative democracy - mean and how they must
>be organised, and strongly insulated from private interests.

Dear Parminder,

however I generally support the position you express in your mail,
here I must "strongly" disagree. Democracy, even as modern as
participative, implies a unique "collegium" (the word might have to
be better specified in this case) while the IGF is made of four, of
which it is to forster the enhanced cooperation. One of them is
"private interests". This is why I oblige myself to use the word
"polycracy" about the IGF experiment. The same, the MAG Chair's
attitude corresponds to the hosting regalian collegium habits. I feel
it as some kind of an abuse against multistakeholderism. Private
sector is not regalian domain, is not civil society, is not
international organizations. I feel our common priority, in in this
first attempt of a global multistakeholder council/forum; is to
defend our Civil Society rights, not to curb those of others we
should accomodate.

This is why I refer to RFC 6852 as participating from the proper WSIS
spirit, underlying that the Information Society Architectonic
responsibility we implied for years as belonging to the IAB is
actually vacant and must be urgently filled on an equal basis by
multistakeholders, through a new kind of enhanced cooperation we
never had before. Otherwise, the vacuum will be unequally filled by
the private sector.

jfc