[governance] Broader commercialization concerns (was Re: Update from today's MAG call)

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Thu Aug 1 13:30:14 EDT 2013

Hi! Norbert,

We broadly agree on many points. However, my background is "agoric"
(i.e. the dynamic convergence of the logic diversity maintaining
emergences). This polylectic way of thinking you need when confronted
to many or myriads of parameters.

- It was the technical philosophy of the Tymnet technology and policy
that we used to teach and deploy the international network services,
support OSI, and welcome TCP/IP during its first decade (1977/1986).
Therefore, I saw it at work, both in the technical and political area,
and supported its (national, corporate, individual) use.

- It is the necessary approach of the internet multilingualization
that we confirmed with IDNA (RFC 5890/95) as an example of the way the
internet architecture supports diversity by subsidiarity – something
its community has not digested yet, but technically flourishes with
the architectural patches that are the Web, IDNA, apps, etc.

- etc.

In such thinking, common to statistical physics and centuries of
philosophy and currently forgotten by financial analysts, nothing can
be considered as a separate issue. Our period makes this especially
clear with the network meshing and the time contraction due to digital
processing.

However, the fundamentality of the necessary changes deters us
from switching from democratic votes, specialized dialogue, and
dialectic reasoning (moreover, they have also to digest monolectic
efficiency [cybernetics]), even if we know we are wrong. We,
therefore, prefer not to deeply investigate and consider the
networking relations, rather than to explore today's reality of our
polycratic open multilogue (everyone talking with everyone). Alvin
Toffler gave our syndrome a name in 1970: "Future shock: stress from
too much change in too short a period of time".

There is no "plot". There are long/medium term evolutions of the
universe mechanism, we can influence by the right small moves, at
the right time.

Obviously everything has a cost. However, it has to be evaluated in
using a common independent metric. Relativity is that everyone has
his/her independent metric.

This is why:
- either there is a need for a conversion between the metrics of
nature, humanity, and reality.
- or there is  no conversion (i.e. I cannot exchange an idea against a
hotel room), but there are cross areas of mutual assistance: civil
society leaders may be invited by sponsors and govs may help research,
in the same way that FLOSS makes Apache available to everyone for free.

Best
jfc