[governance] Internet as a commons/ public good

Adam Freeman adam.freeman at politics.ox.ac.uk
Sun Apr 28 15:07:15 EDT 2013

Dear all,

I’m enjoying the spirited debate.  But if I may, some Rousseau (via Albert Hirschman),

‘What makes for human misery is the contradiction between man and citizen; make him one and you will make him as happy as he can be; give him wholly to the state or leave him wholly to himself; but if you divide his heart you will tear it apart.’

What I take from this is that it’s a mistake to see public and private as simply opposed. If the Internet enables both an active global citizenry and expanded horizons of private interest then that very affinity with the dual drives of real people acting at their best should be its calling card. The stalking dangers of private interest takeover and mass indoctrination are side-effects of a technology (and sure, ‘an emergent [...] social reality’) that makes both power and participation truly worthwhile. The remedy to these dangers is not to bet everything on publicness, however. That’s not even the best idea humanistically speaking, even if it made sense from a technology perspective. Such a move undercuts the similarly powerful affordances toward private experience and fulfillment that makes the ‘global commons and public good character[istics]’ of the Internet age so affirmative.

If I felt warranted stepping into some of the particular disputes going on, I’d say such a vantage offered at least the beginnings of a bridge between, say, Parminder and Milton Mueller. It’s a good job, therefore, that I don’t feel at all warranted in that respect!

All best,

Adam

Adam Freeman
St Peter’s College, University of Oxford
adam.freeman at politics.ox.ac.uk