[governance] Internet as a commons/ public good

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 15:23:43 EDT 2013

So glad someone asked :)

There are many types of Third Worldists, but there is a
movement/network, rough ilk bandying together who variously have the
method and analytic that 1) the categorisation is valid because it
correctly describes the dialectic relationship of the violence
(structuralist and otherwise) of the relationship between the first and
third worlds (including now much of the second world), 2) historical
understanding of the current situation, and the need to seek a Just
World Under Law (as opposed to a World Under Law) - hence 'full spectrum
engagement' ( radical and reform, that may seem contradictory to the
untrained eye); and 3) serves as an organising principle. It is not to
be dogmatically affirmed in all circumstances, and does not preclude
other forms of analytic categories such as gender, sexual orientation,
class. Its limitations are well known, not least the collaboration of
people from the third world with that of the first - but that is a
truism, because when has domination been sustained without
collaboration, eh?

 From my rough assessment yes the Third Worldist groups I link with take
legitimacy issues very seriously, especially since the post-colonial
condition has not meant independence and suffers from major
international constraints that influence 'rough' local politics.

Not sure what you mean by 2nd of 4th wayists... the ebb and tide of
currents on this list changes, but over years it is possible to discern
some trends, but these are so fluid it is hard to keep track as
circumstances change also. It would be so nice to have some alternatives
instead of the lowest common denominator consensus building... it has
been a torrid relationship and Norbert has at least set a tone for some
further exploration, not least helped by Curran, Roland, and others who
weigh in in ways that enable some greater scope for discussion...

So, like a ladder, its up and down...