[governance] Internet as a commons/ public good

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Apr 25 01:43:16 EDT 2013

On Thursday 25 April 2013 12:43 AM, Mawaki Chango wrote:
> Folks, let us not sound like WCIT deliberations... and be stuck on the
> order of words or their esthetics, if not their politics.
> I see nothing wrong with McTim's formulation and am not sure what
> positive difference the latest change proposed by Parminder (on this
> specific phrase) makes, while it slows down the rhythm of reading and
> maybe the comprehension.
>
> "through open, bottom-up, transparent, participatory democratic
> processes involving all stakeholders". [McTim]
>
> vs.
>
> "through due democratic processes, that are open and transparent, and
> involve all stakeholders." [Parminder]
>
> Or would the following satisfy all parties? "... through open,
> bottom-up, transparent, participatory and due democratic processes
> involving all stakeholders". If so please (Parminder) go ahead and add.

Mawaki

Earlier the phrase was just 'due democratic processes' to which Ian said
' it looked too much like what governments do'. To me democratic
processes is not something governments do, they are just democratic
processes, that is all. But I think Ian was making explicit a historical
connection and assumption that he had in him mind, and presumes others
have to. Similarly, the above text, especially the bottom-up part of it
appears to me to point to directly and somewhat exclusively to ICANN
associated processes.

parminder