[governance] Internet as a commons/ public good

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Tue Apr 23 20:02:17 EDT 2013

From: Milton L Mueller
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:43 AM
To: governance at lists.igcaucus.org
Subject: RE: [governance] Internet as a commons/ public good

We recognise the Internet to be a global network of networks comprised of computing devices and processes, and an emergent and emerging social reality. In that sense, it is an intricate combination of hardware, software, protocols, and human intentionality enabling new kinds of social interactions and transactions, brought together by a common set of design principles, and policies established through due democratic processes.

[Milton L Mueller] assuming that historical accuracy matters, and depending on what “policies” one is referring to, I don’t think “democratic” process was involved in the origin of the internet at all. The IETF developers were meritocratic, not democratic.

IP – have to agree with Milton. Tnere is no historic democratic processes.

The design principles and policies that constitute its governance ensure its stability, functionality and security, and aim at preserving and enhancing the global commons and global public good character of the Internet the combination of which has made previous innovations possible. Therefore, in the face of the growing danger for the Internet experience to be reduced to closed or

[Milton L Mueller] yes, but they are also, and should be also, aim at preserving and enhancing the private good aspects of the Internet. As the success of the  internet rests on a creative combination of both, why are we emphasizing only one aspect of this?

IP. It is not secure, and I believe its functionality is somewhat basic. I’d go straight to  the global commons stuff and skip the first part.

proprietary online spaces, we urge that the preservation and enhancement of the Internet's global commons and public good dimensions

[Milton L Mueller] what are these dimensions? Why not specify them? Why not also recognize that we should not interfere with the innovation and creativity that has come from affording entrepreneurs and individuals to experiment and innovate with new private services?

IP. My somewhat reduced version would then be

We recognise the Internet to be a global network of networks comprised of computing devices and processes, and an emergent and emerging social reality. In that sense, it is an intricate combination of hardware, software, protocols, and human intentionality enabling new kinds of social interactions and transactions, brought together by a common set of design principles. The design principles and policies that constitute its governance aim at preserving and enhancing the global commons and global public good character of the Internet the combination of which has made previous innovations possible. Therefore, in the face of the growing danger for the Internet experience to be reduced to closed or proprietary online spaces, we urge the preservation and enhancement of the Internet's global commons and public good dimensions.

     governance at lists.igcaucus.org