Epi-phenomena? RE: [governance] Internet as a commons/ public good; was, Conflicts in Internet Governance

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 21:50:10 EDT 2013

Yes, an epi-phenomenon is a secondary phenomenon which rests on and in some
manner is derivative from the (primary) phenomenon/phenomena...

My point is that if one starts off for example, from the observation that
the primary phenonema for any social construct are the social
phenomena--language, laws, social norms, family relationships--then
something such as TCP/IP which is of course a socially embedded construct is
epi-ephenomenal to that social sub-strate/social phenomena... (when seen
from a social construct perspective... Imagine trying to develop TCP/IP
without language, or without a background of socially/publically research
institutions, or a structure of laws governing how people work together, pay
their bills, manage contracts etc. From that perspective the social
framework is primary and what people do within that context is
"epi-phenomenal". (which dare I say, strikes me as "self-evident...