Epi-phenomena? RE: [governance] Internet as a commons/ public good; was, Conflicts in Internet Governance

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 13:42:51 EDT 2013

This is an interesting way of presenting this McTIm but I'm not sure I
agree.. .Rather I see it as follows

I think it may be misleading to talk/think of the
social/political/economic/cultural elements linked to the Internet as an
"epi-phenomenon". Rather I think it more useful to think of the current
Internet as a coalescence of an underlying technical network (of networks?)
with a pre-existing (even if somewhat dormant in parts) set of
social/human/political/cultural relationships/networks. To accept these
latter as an "epi-phenomenon" is to accept the Thatcher argument that "there
is no society/social contract". Even, or particularly, if one focuses only
on these latter relationships/networks, these form complex and powerful sets
of social connections between people within their families, communities,
cultural linguistic groups and so on. We individually, collectively and all
of us live in some sorts of social connections (networking) with others and
those networks pervade all aspects of human activity (including the
development and operation of the Internet).

I think that it is unquestionable that there has been a strong and pervasive
inter-penetration of these two sub-strata--the emerging technical network
(of networks?--the Internet) with the pre-existing
social/cultural/economic/political sub-strata of family/community/society
networks (of networks-society and culture).

IMHO these two sub-strata have always been in intimate relationship with
each other with perhaps initially the social having more (if less
immediately visible) influence on the evolution of the technical but now
with the technical having significant if not co-equal influence on the
evolution of the social.

An Internet governance perspective thus I think should evolve in full
recognition of the above co-evolution and interpenetration and Internet
Governance itself should be seen as a broader framework where specific tech
governance issues are dealt with in one sector perhaps with enhanced
reliance on those with expert tech knowledge; specific social etc. network
issues (as they relate to the internet) could/should be seen in a second
sector; and the over-arching issues governing both sub-strata and most
importantly the interactions between and co-evolutions of both could and
should be seen as a third sector. "Enhanced co-operation" to my mind is
about this third sector.

As for the "definitions"--clearly each sector may (and has) developed its
own "definition"--as we are seeing in the current discussion. Hopefully we
can agree as a group on a definition that can usefully apply to this third.

Mike