[governance] Shared Decision Making Procedures

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Sat Apr 20 10:24:34 EDT 2013

On Apr 1, 2013, at 10:11 AM, Bertrand de La Chapelle <bdelachapelle at gmail.com> wrote:

> During the last few months, three conferences (IGF, WCIT, WSIS+10) have helped clarify the landscape:
> the existing Internet institutional ecosystem (RIRs, standards bodies like IETF or W3C, ICANN, etc...) is dealing in a distributed manner with the governance OF the Internet, but does not (and should not) provide a venue for issues related to the governance ON the Internet (privacy, freedom of expression, copyright, security, etc...)
Bertrand -

  Apologies for a very belated reply, but I've been thinking about the above text and
  wondering if there is a fundamental difference between "dealing in a distributed
  manner with the governance OF the Internet" and "a venue for issues related to the
  governance ON the Internet", and if, as a result, we in the community are making a
  significant mistake in referring to both on occasions as "Internet Governance"...

Thoughts?
/John

Disclaimers:  My views alone.  The term "Internet" in the above refers to the unique
                    global communications capability based upon the "Internet Protocol."
                    (both versions :-)