[governance] Internet as a commons/ public good

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Apr 19 12:22:51 EDT 2013

Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> Can we perhaps adopt some kind of a rough procedure - maybe an online
> vote - to get the sense of the house first on whether people at all
> want any kind of text on 'commons and public goods nature of the
> Internet' adopted or not....
>
> and then when, and if, we know that such is the general will of the
> group, we can proceed to drafting the text, and then put it up for a
> consensus/ rough consensus call... or alternatively, we can directly
> put the Mawaki's text, with a few possible modifications in the next
> few days to the consensus/ rough consensus process.
>
> Just for your consideration

I believe that there is precedent for using online polls as part of
the implementation of the process of making a "rough consensus call".

If (outside of the specific kind of context of IGC decision-making
processes) the objective is to simply get some informal feedback, to
learn something about how many IGC members feel strongly in one or the
other way about a given question, anyone can use a survey tool like for
example moreganize.com to conduct a poll.

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Recommendations for effective and contructive participation in IGC:
1. Respond to the content of assertions and arguments, not to the person