[governance] US House Bill to Affirm the Policy of the United States Regarding Internet Governance

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Wed Apr 17 15:19:13 EDT 2013

On Apr 17, 2013, at 12:54 PM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay but can anyone point to an authoritative definition/description of what exactly is meant by "the successful multistakeholder model that governs the Internet" i.e. what exactly was the US Congress voting unanimously to "preserve and advance".

Interestingly enough, the term "multistakeholder model" is not further defined;
this implies that it is should be obvious from context, and if one reads the full
bill, that might actually be the case depending on your own perspective of the
current Internet Governance structures.   (An an aside, I remember back to a
multi-hour session one day with lawmakers who were attempting to define the
term "Internet", so that it could be used in bill being drafted.  Happily, we are
past the point of where the term Internet needs definition, but I'll admit to some
surprise that "multistakeholder model" is now receiving the same benefit of the
doubt.)

FYI,
/John

Disclaimers:  My views alone (where "My" is defined as those associated with
                    John Curran...)