[governance] US House Bill to Affirm the Policy of the United States Regarding Internet Governance

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Tue Apr 16 23:14:36 EDT 2013

On 16/04/13 23:10, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> */[Milton L Mueller] By “ignored” you mean that Rep. Walden refused to
> modify his principle to make an exception for U.S. forms of control.
> Which is all to the good. The principle stands./*
>
> */[Milton L Mueller] I think the bill provides a good principle to
> guide that “unfinished work.” You know, or should know, that most of
> the countries pushing for “enhanced cooperation” want governments to
> assume a greater role in making and enforcing “public policy” for the
> global internet. ... Remember that “WSIS Principles” under the TA
> means that governments are the primary source of Internet public
> policy, and the rest of us provide “input” which they may utilize as
> they see fit. So we truly NEED a statement of the principle that IG
> should not lead to “government control of the internet.” Tell me again
> why you oppose that? /*

Because from this source, it is bogus.  It's like the old constitution
of the USSR which said things like "citizens of the USSR are guaranteed
freedom of speech, of the press, and of assembly, meetings, street
processions and demonstrations".  The meaning that it bears on its face
is so palpably at variance with the way it is applied that to say is
little more than an insult.  The only good point I can see about this is
that it will highlight how bald-faced is the US government's hypocrisy
on control of the Internet, but it was pretty apparent already anyway.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

WCRD 2013 – Consumer Justice Now! | Consumer Protection Map:
https://wcrd2013.crowdmap.com/main | #wcrd2013

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org
<http://www.consumersinternational.org> |
www.facebook.com/consumersinternational