[governance] Internet as a commons/ public good

Garth Graham garth.graham at telus.net
Tue Apr 16 12:50:59 EDT 2013

On 2013-04-16, at 8:32 AM, Katitza Rodriguez wrote:

> Can you define "common pool". Your comments are interesting... (sorry for jumping in the middle of the discussion). : )
>
> On 4/16/13 8:25 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
>> …….  Our research on IP addressing discusses the status of IP addresses as common pool resources. Likewise, other work addresses the status of domain names. Both IP addresses and domain names are private goods but may be regulated in a common pool fashion, or not, depending on what works best. I presume you know what common pool governance is.

Elinor Ostrom identified eight "design principles" of stable common pool resource management systems.  In her terms, a means of governing open Internet standards or the DNS as a common pool resources (CPR) would need to include:
:
1.     Clearly defined boundaries about who is in and who is out (effective exclusion of external unentitled parties);
2.     Rules regarding the appropriation and provision of common resources are adapted to local conditions;
3.     Collective-choice arrangements allow most resource appropriators to participate in the rules-making and decision-making processes;
4.     Effective monitoring of operational conformance by monitors who are part of or accountable to the appropriators;
5.     A scale of graduated sanctions for resource appropriators who violate community rules;
6.     Mechanisms of conflict resolution are cheap, local, and of easy access;
7.     Unchallenged recognition of the community’s self-determination by higher-level authorities;
8.     In the case of larger common-pool resources, organization in the form of multiple layers of nested enterprises, with small local CPRs at the base level.

Ostrom, Elinor: Governing the Commons: The Evolution of Institutions for Collective Action. Cambridge University Press. 1990. p.90. Ostrom, Elinor: Understanding Institutional Diversity. Princeton, Princeton University Press. 2005. p.259.

GG