[governance] Internet as a commons/ public good

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Apr 16 11:50:50 EDT 2013

While specific pieces of equipment (e.g. routers, strands of fibre,
etc) do not qualify as public goods, I would assert that the Internet
epiphenomenon as a whole is neither rival in consumption nor (in the
absence of bad changes e.g. to the legal framework) excludable.

That said, that economic definition of public goods may not be the
most relevant one here, in fact it had been proposed to explicitly
reference a different conception of "public goods". (I'm not sure why
the footnote concerning that has been dropped from the current version
of the draft text.)

Greetings,
Norbert