[governance] Discussions, negotiations, argument mapping

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Apr 16 10:41:50 EDT 2013

[with IGC coordinator hat on]

Daniel Pimienta <pimienta at funredes.org> wrote:
> +1 to Andrea.
big +1 from my side also -- those pointers are greatly appreciated

> Please everybody push the RESET button, stop meta-discussions, and
> focus on the discussion and the arguments!

big +1

> Something I used as an efficient tool as a moderator which may apply
> or not in this charter, is the possibility for the moderator to
> write privately to the author of a contribution kept in hold and ask
> kindly the person to rephrase a piece which could be mistaken as
> at-hominem attack of a flame prone sentence.
> Most of the time people agree to change a twist of expression and the
> flow keeps all right without public discussions.
> If they dont a large part of the heat is consumed in a private
> discussion with the moderator and not in public.
> And this has nothing to do with transparency... it is more a question
> of diplomacy :-).

I don't think that configuring the mailing list software to hold some or
even all postings for review by the coordinators or by a separate team
of moderators would be consistent with what the IGC Charter currently
says about the matter (and for better or worse, our Charter is not easy
to change.)

However, if someone wishes to write to me off-list to ask me about my
opinion about a potential posting they have written, I will do my best
to see if I can spot a sentence or two that could perhaps be rewritten
(keeping the substantive content intact--I'd suggest to change only the
words and/or the style of argumentation or expression used to
communicate that opinion) to at least attempt to minimize the public
generation of unproductive heat.

In the same way, I am sure that there are also many others here who
have the kind of skills and experience with this type of mailing list
that would allow them to provide similar assistance of equal (or in the
case of native speakers of English probably greater) value.

Greetings,
Norbert