[governance] Internet as a commons/ public good; was, Conflicts in Internet Governance

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 08:46:43 EDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 7:58 AM, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:
> McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Again, what I object to most is that I think we are defining a thing
>> by its epiphenomenal characteristics.
>
> Suppose that a company X were to create a network of networks, possibly
> TCP/IP based, but to some extent under the control of company X. For
> example, the method by means of which company X retains control could
> be that only networks operated by company X or its "certified partner
> organizations" would be included in that network of networks.

This happens frequently.

> The important difference to differentiate that kind of network from
> what we call the Internet would be in the area of the epiphenomenal
> characteristics, wouldn't it?

Why wouldn't the type of Internetwork you describe also share some of
those characteristics?

> In any case, what word should be used to refer to the global ICP/IP
> based network of networks which currently exists together with its
> epiphenomena? Most people use the word "Internet". If that is one of
> the valid meanings of the word "Internet", then it is IMO appropriate
> to write a definition which explains that meaning.

When I sent the link to the Wikipedia definition, I had hoped that
people would read it and include the entire first sentence (and perhsp
the second:

"The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks
that use the standard Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to serve
billions of users worldwide. It is a network of networks that consists
of millions of private, public, academic, business, and government
networks, of local to global scope, that are linked by a broad array
of electronic, wireless and optical networking technologies. "

--
Cheers,

McTim