[governance] Internet as a commons/ public good; was, Conflicts in Internet Governance

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Apr 16 05:33:11 EDT 2013

Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> or maybe
>
>     We recognise the Internet to be an emergent and emerging reality.
>     As a global network of networks, it is an its intricate
>     combination of hardware, software, protocols, human intentionality
>     and a new kind of social spatiality, brought together by a common
>     set of design principles, and constrained by policies established
>     by due democratic processes. We consider the Internet as a global
>     commons and a global public good. The design principles and
>     policies that constitute its governance should, therefore, flow
>     from such recognition of the Internet as a commons and public
>     good.

Minor grammar nitpick / typo correction: delete "its" in the second
line, resulting in:

    We recognise the Internet to be an emergent and emerging reality.
    As a global network of networks, it is an intricate combination of
    hardware, software, protocols, human intentionality and a new kind
    of social spatiality, brought together by a common set of design
    principles, and constrained by policies established by due
    democratic processes. We consider the Internet as a global commons
    and a global public good. The design principles and policies that
    constitute its governance should, therefore, flow from such
    recognition of the Internet as a commons and public good.

How about simplifying "social spatiality" to "social space"?

    We recognise the Internet to be an emergent and emerging reality.
    As a global network of networks, it is an intricate combination of
    hardware, software, protocols, human intentionality and a new kind
    of social space, brought together by a common set of design
    principles, and constrained by policies established by due
    democratic processes. We consider the Internet as a global commons
    and a global public good. The design principles and policies that
    constitute its governance should, therefore, flow from such
    recognition of the Internet as a commons and public good.

In any case I think we're getting close to the point where a formal
consensus process can be launched with the goal of formally approving
some version of this as a formal IGC statement. I think that there's
nothing wrong with having a very short statement containing essentially
just this text, but I would propose that a title should be added.

How about:

   "IGC Working Definition of the Internet"

?

Greetings,
Norbert