[governance] Internet as a commons/ public good; was, Conflicts in Internet Governance

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Apr 16 04:29:11 EDT 2013

On Tuesday 16 April 2013 01:41 PM, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> For ~3 decades the Internet has been define as a "network of
>> networks".
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet
>>
>> We seem to be defining it by its epiphenomenal effects rather than by
>> its its core definition.
>> Is that what we want to do?
> In view of the WGIG definition of Internet Governance including the
> epiphenomenal aspects, and their increasing importance, I think that
> is important to also create a good working definition of "Internet"
> itself that includes the epiphenomenal aspects.
>
> But the "network of networks" aspect is of course still very important
> today, and it is so far missing in the definition proposals that we
> have.
>
> I'd like to hereby request addition of this aspect to our definition
> drafts. (At the current stage I think that it might be best to update
> both Parminder's draft and Nnenna's draft in parallel.)

I am fine if we work with Nnenna's draft and add 'network of networks'
to it, maybe in the first sentence..

    We recognise the Internet, as a global network of networks, to be an
    emergent and emerging reality. Its specificity is inherent in its
    intricate combination of hardware, software, protocols, human
    intentionality and a new kind of social spatiality, brought together
    by a common set of design principles, and constrained by policies
    established by due democratic processes. We consider the Internet as
    a global commons and a global public good. The design principles and
    policies that constitute its governance should, therefore, flow from
    such recognition of the Internet as a commons and public good.

parminder