[governance] Internet as a commons/ public good; was, Conflicts in Internet Governance

Nnenna nne75 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 15 12:20:05 EDT 2013

 Hi people

Thanks for this discussion.  This is what interests me in this group.  I have added a few things and returning the text.

=
We reconise the Internet as an emergent and emerging reality. Its specificity is inherent in its intricate combination of hardware, software, protocols, human intentionality and a new kind of social spatiality, brought together by a common set of design principles, and constrained by policies established by due democratic processes. We consider the Internetas a global commons and a global public good. The design principles and policies that constitute its governance should, therefore, flow from such recognition of the Internet as a commons and public good.

=

  "We recognise the Internet
    as an emergent, and emerging, reality consisting of hardware,
    protocols and software, human  intentionality, and
    a new kind of social spatiality, brought together by a common set
    of design principles and constrained by policies fashioned by due
    democratic processes. The Internet is to be considered as a global
    commons and a global public good*. The design principles and
    policies
    that constitute the governance of the Internet should must flow from
    such recognition of  the Internet as a commons
    and a public good."

(* Here we employ a wider socio-political meaning of a 'public
    good', as for instance articulated by Inge Kaul in her UNDP publication, rather than the narrow construction employed by many neo- classical economists)

==
I cut out the initial sentence. I think it has more presence when it is shorter.  I love the word "reality" as it is not a commodity, or a thing. I started off the second sentence on the "specificity which is inherent".  I changed "fashioned" to "established".. but still thinking we may find a better word, liked "forged". I rearranged the last sentence to lead from reason to action.

So on top is text 2, and below is text 1

Regards

Nnenna

Nnenna  Nwakanma |  Founder and CEO, NNENNA.ORG  |  Consultants
Information | Communications | Technology and Events | for Development
Cote d'Ivoire (+225)| Tel: 225 27144 | Fax  224 26471 |Mob. 07416820
Ghana: +233 249561345| Nigeria: +234 8101887065| http://www.nnenna.org
nnenna at nnenna.org| @nnenna | Skype - nnenna75 | nnennaorg.blogspot.com

________________________________
> Agree. The second sentence does not follow from the first. The
> amended text, removing 'accordingly' will stand as:
>
>    "We recognise the Internet as an emergent, and emerging, reality
> consisting of hardware, protocols and software, human
> intentionality, and a new kind of social spatiality, brought together
> by a common set of design principles and constrained by policies
> fashioned by due democratic processes. The Internet is to be
> considered as a global commons and a global public good*. The design
> principles and policies that constitute the governance of the
> Internet should must flow from such recognition of  the Internet as a
> commons and a public good."

This part is pretty good already I think.

> (* Here we employ a wider socio-political meaning of a 'public good',
> as for instance articulated by Inge Kaul in her UNDP publication
> <http://web.undp.org/globalpublicgoods/globalization/toc.html>,
> rather than the narrow construction employed by many neo- classical
> economists)

I think we should reword the last part a bit to make it sound less like
a criticism of economists.

How about for example:

"... rather than the narrower meaning often attached to the term in
contexts of economics."

?

Greetings,
Norbert