[governance] Conflicts in Internet Governance

Guru गुरु Guru at ITforChange.net
Mon Apr 15 01:21:22 EDT 2013

On 04/15/2013 06:55 AM, Avri Doria wrote:
> On 14 Apr 2013, at 12:37, Roland Perry wrote:
>
>> But here, on the IGC list, what I'm attempting to do (for the sake of avoiding any misunderstanding) is discovering what the various correspondents understand to be "the Internet", upon which they wish "no government interference".
>>
>> I asked a question of Avri, perhaps you could answer it also.
> I tend to think of the Internet as an emergent, and emerging, reality consisting of hardware, protocols and software, and human intentionality brought together by a common set of design principles and constrained by policies fashioned by the stakeholders.
>
> I beleive  "no government interference" is an inaccurate representation of what I wish for.  I wish for "no government control,"  I also wish for government participation as equal/equivalent stakeholders in Internet governance.  I am sure that would be considered government interference by some. And would be considered "no government interference" by others.
>
> avri
Avri

Do you think government needs to enforce law. would such enforcement
require 'control'? (I think andrea glorioso asked this question in two
emails pointedly but i think without response)

Guru