[governance] Conflicts in Internet Governance

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 14:52:48 EDT 2013

Thanks Anriette for a very useful commentary and Avri for raising the issue...

There is of course, the contemporary (?) debate as to whether to refer to issues such as the management of water supplies as a "management of a commons" or as a "management of a public good"... In both formulations of course, there are inbuilt assumptions--in the first instance, that of the "commons" there is an assumption that the structure of governance/management is occuring in some sort of context where no existing governance/management structures are already in place and thus means must found to create these; which, as Anriette points to, should be such as to satisfy the (legitimate?) needs of all parties.  In the latter case that of the "public good", there is the assumption of the pre-existence of a "public" and thus of some form of governance structures which repesent at some level the collective will of that public.

Those of an anti-government/anti-State bent will clearly opt for the former formulation while those without such a bias will potentially opt for either depending on the specifics of the circumstance.

Whether in our context the Internet is seen as a "commons" or as a "public good" may thus perhap simply be a matter of taste (or political/ideological pre-disposition).

However, a decision around this may also be associated with issues such as assessments of the role of power--economic, political, social--in the context of governance. One of the major challenges facing those who opt to see the Internet as a commons is how to deal with issues of power differentials  within that commons.  Avri in her disquisition pointed to the power of the State in abrogating the extent of the commons but interestingly she failed to mention the role of private corporations in similarly parcelling out and limiting the extent of the commons and perhaps more importantly the capacity of the commons to self-manage its affairs in contexts where the private sector is already acting/has power. (To use Anriette's example what happens when the water supply is already in whole or in part privatized, how then to treat it as a commons in the absence of State power?)

Any discussion of the Internet as a commons must IMHO as a basic and defining issue deal with how in an Internet treated as a commons, the differential power of the various actors will be managed/controlled/equalized (?).  It is again IMHO totally insufficient to present the Internet as a commons as a paradigm for matters of Internet Governance and specifically as a solution to presumed overweening attempts at control by States without equally dealing with matters of actual patterns of control over significant elements of the Internet by unaccountable private corporations and individual States pursuing their own specific self-interests.

One reason to opt for a paradigm of the Internet as a global public good is precisely because within that model are conceptual elements and strategies for managing/controlling the role of otherwise unaccountable private sector actors and equally that of rogue States which choose to ignore the role of the global interest in the pursuit of local/national interests.

Whether some commons/publc good hybrid model is possible where concerns with respect to government control (as for example with respect to Freedom of Expression) and parallel concerns with respect to private control or individual national control (as for example in ensuring the public interest in matters such as privacy, equality in the distribution of opportunities to realize benefits, and so on) can be mutually accommodated is perhaps our most important task in this context.

Mike