[governance] Conflicts in Internet Governance

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun Apr 14 05:56:39 EDT 2013

In message <99c5a494-44cf-4bea-a8f9-09c5acb74c40 at email.android.com>, at
20:50:06 on Sat, 13 Apr 2013, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> writes
>I have no problem with those who create art or new Internet spaces
>enjoying the fruits of their creativity and inventiveness. A neologism
>may be owned. A new Internet space may be owned. But the language
>itself or the Internet should not be

The Internet is a collection of routers, cables and peering agreements.
Curiously enough, a majority of the latter are still maintained on a "no
settlement" basis - in other words traffic passes but no money changes
hands. But someone has to install the routers and cables, and that has
to be owned and paid for.

Or are you talking about ownership of things like the HTTP and SMTP
protocols which make the WWW and email possible.

I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that all content on the Internet is
inside what you call "spaces" (like Yahoo, eBay, Facebook, Twitter...)
which are OK to own.

Just so I understand, can you give some examples of things you think
have been [mis]appropriated, that used to be [Internet] commons and
aren't any longer.
--
Roland Perry