[governance] US House Bill to Affirm the Policy of the United States Regarding Internet Governance

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 22:36:53 EDT 2013

Michael,

I, like Avri have some questions about this post:

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 10:26 AM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> This, once visibly put into practice, is very welcome news indeed. Many

How many is many?

 in
> the rest of the world

where in the rest of the world specifically?

 were astonished at the capacity of certain elements of
> US Civil Society and the Technical Community to offer uncritical support for
> what is so evidently self-serving hypocrisy of the form, do as we say not as
> we do.

Are you talking about the recent contretemps about your non-appointment by T&A,
or are you talking about the bill in the House?

If the former, why would you use this thread, and not any of the others?

If the latter, I thought you are in support of the letter from OTI and CDT
(both orgs are folk whose work I like and respect a great deal BTW)?

Perhaps if we all stopped top-posting, I could make greater sense of the matter.

On the substance of this proposed bill, I don't see the "impact on
> important aspects of freedom of expression/citizen and consumer protection
> under U.S. law".  that Gene sees.

While I don't normally support much of what the Republicans in the
U.S. put forth,
the language on human rights is something that we have been asking for, no?

If they pass this (which as per Lee is a long shot) can we not throw
it in their face
the next time they try and do a dodgy domain seizure/expand
monitoring/$badthingthat
we don't like?

I'm inclined to agree with Avri that the letter in reaction to this
bill is a bit of a stretch.

I also agree with her that it's not a very helpful tone you have
chosen, and join her in asking
if "tone" like this would trigger a warning.

--
Cheers,

McTim