[governance] US House Bill to Affirm the Policy of the United States Regarding Internet Governance

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Apr 13 06:20:05 EDT 2013

In message
<CAOLD2+Y2HG5xLTjJ-7LzXg+ZLoYekAKiVPhV7EOTnpmLrHc=YA at mail.gmail.com>, at
17:35:50 on Sat, 13 Apr 2013, Andrea Glorioso <andrea at digitalpolicy.it>
writes
>Roland,
>My question was meant to have a slightly different objective than
>assessing what is seen as legitimate or not, although this is also an
>element.

I was trying hard not to pre-empt whether the activities I listed were
in fact legitimate, rather I was picking [one small] area of "Internet"
policy where I hope people can see that there are a *range* of issues to
be addressed, and that you can't (eg) put all VoIP issues into one box
and accept or deny "government control" of either "none of them" or "all
of them". Each aspect needs a debate of its own.

Some might not even agree that all three aspects of my example are
*Internet* Governance.

>I'm more interested in understanding who is supposed to enforce laws.

Whichever agencies have those laws within their remit. Which is often a
domestic agency, but might be an international one.

And a tricky question from me: If people who uphold the law are
potentially not a legitimate stakeholder, what about the people who
break the law? [Who could be individuals, corporations and even
sometimes governments]

R.

--
Roland Perry