[governance] US House Bill to Affirm the Policy of the United States Regarding Internet Governance

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sat Apr 13 04:10:53 EDT 2013

In message
<CAOLD2+bn6d3vqZDShzUH=70zbbEQjk6j=c6aAjOROBVArLDEjQ at mail.gmail.com>, at
13:56:01 on Sat, 13 Apr 2013, Andrea Glorioso <andrea at digitalpolicy.it>
writes

>How can be governments / public authorities be "one of the
>stakeholders" when enforcing existing laws?
>
>It's not a trick question, although it might be a tricky one.

It all depends what is meant by "The Internet".

Let's take an example: If a government outlawed VoIP within its borders,
and required ISPs to block it, that would most likely be the kind of
control which would draw disapproval from a wide audience.

But if a government approached a VoIP provider and said "by law we
require you record identities of subscribers, and *today* we require you
to divulge the identity of *this* subscriber, because either (a) his
house is apparently on fire and he couldn't tell the emergency operator
what the address was; or (b) a call from that number triggered an
explosive device, and we wish to investigate whether he is the
perpetrator"; then perhaps such control would draw a greater degree of
general approval.

And halfway in between, should a government be allowed to control what
telephone numbers are assigned, by the supplier, to VoIP subscribers, so
that they are globally unique and not already in use by a completely
different telco's subscriber?
--
Roland Perry