[governance] US House Bill to Affirm the Policy of the United States Regarding Internet Governance

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Apr 12 23:23:09 EDT 2013

Hi,

I have not read the bill yet, but from what you say, I find its premise reasonable. I am sure I will find something to be critical of when I have read the whole thing.

Or did you mean critical thought in the philosophical sense. Which can agrees as much as it can disagree.

I too wish for an Internet free of government control.  Any government control.
Though of course I accept them as one stakeholder among the other stakeholders.

And I too wish to preserve and advance, aka make better and more prevalent, the multistakeholder model.

So from what you have quoted, I find little to disagree with so far.
Though I am sure I will find lots to quibble about in the full language.

Yes, there are governments that wish to control the Internet.
But I do not believe that its in anyone's interests, not civil society's and not even the governments, for them to try do so.
I don't believe they would ever succeed, but they could certainly cause a lot of dangers and degradation of the rights concerns we all have in the operation of an open Internet.

I do believe the model needs to be enhanced, aka made better or advanced.
And I do believe there are many parts of the model that can be advanced, enhanced and improved.
And I do believe there is a lot of room for improvements in stakeholder participation, accountability and transparency.

If only we could focus on that instead of constantly needing to defend it against those who would destroy it by turning it into a intergovernmental fiefdom.

Now whether I believe anything the US Congress does can actually achieve that goal is another matter completely.

But I would personally be happy to see every government make a pledge to keep their hands off of the management of the Internet and to become good actors as stakeholders in the governance of the Internet.

Avri Doria