[governance] Re: What else is discrimination?

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Fri Apr 12 09:55:17 EDT 2013

Well said, Avri.

It's not due to single person, in my view, but collectively, it needs some
courage to post any message for many, I suspect. I also felt similar way,
afraid of being accused, or severely criticized one way or other. As I am
not native in English, it's difficult to feel the emotions and nuances.

That is really a pity as this list is meant to be a forum for free exchange
of our ideas among civil society members involved with Internet governance
issues.

I must say that during my tenure of co-co, I did not address this issue
that well.

I feel some sympathy to the co-cos now as it is such a difficult task to
maintain the list live and relevant among such diverse views and positions.
And when I was selected as the co-co three years ago, I was very excited,
or maybe over excited about my role, yet several predecessors of the co-cos
including Adam and Jeannette gave me rather objective advice reminding me
that the primary role of co-co is to lead the IGC to reach consensus, not
pushing my own ideas too much. Yes, that is written in the Charter, but
more than that it is critical point to be aware of for the new co-co.

I still hope that the energy exposed during the heated debate will lead us
to more productive outcomes despite some noise.

izumi back from ICANN Beijing

2013/4/11 Avri Doria <avri at acm.org>

> parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
>
> es, there is a strong
> >political bias coming from an entrenched 'structure of power' on this
> >list. That bias is in fact exactly the opposite direction to what has
> >been made out by the recent accusations. Although anyone who has tried
> >to pursue with any seriousness a counter-hegemonic view on this list
> >knows only too well what this 'structure of power' here is and with
> >what
> >kind of devastating effectiveness it works, a few recent examples may
> >still be useful because entrenched social power also has this thing
> >about quickly getting invisible, although no less potent for that.
> >

> Indeed on this list it its you who rules and the rest of us who run scared.
> People of my ilk are the voice in the wilderness on this list these days.
>
> I am certainly always nervous about engaging when you are involved.
> I do it because I fear fear more than I fear your wrath,
> but have no doubt,
> I am afraid of your wrath
> and the way you wield language.
>
> I hope confessing my fear is not considered an attack.
> But please know I will not let you render me
> or those of my ilk
> invisible.
>

> >Inter alia, I was accuseful
> >repeatedly
> >of having a 'gotcha mentality'.
>
> My statement was that you used that argument technique.
> I never meant to imply anything about your mentality.
> I would consider discussing anyone's mentality inappropriate.
>

> Avri Doria

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

                     >> Izumi Aizu <<
Japan