[governance] Re: What else is discrimination?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Apr 11 01:10:46 EDT 2013

If some people here insist on treating the recent episode of first a
warning and then suspension of the posting rights of a member as one of
political bias by co-cos, then perhaps it is worth having a discussion
on the subject of political biases on this list.

It is interesting to note how easily, and somewhat unceremoniously, such
deep allegation have been made against the co-cos, and I understand that
it is mostly Norbert who is being targeting. Being an avid supporter of
democratic and accountability seeking processes I do not really have any
major issues with these 'accusations'. If some people do feel this way
well let them say it (although preferably substantiate it better).
Norbert has responded to each of these accusatory points in good details
also pointing to the avenues where further recourse lies. I also
encourage the disaffected parties to pursue these avenues.

Meanwhile, let me  contribute my views on the proposition that has been
put forward regarding 'two sides of a political spectrum' and
corresponding political biases on this list. Yes, there is a strong
political bias coming from an entrenched 'structure of power' on this
list. That bias is in fact exactly the opposite direction to what has
been made out by the recent accusations. Although anyone who has tried
to pursue with any seriousness a counter-hegemonic view on this list
knows only too well what this 'structure of power' here is and with what
kind of devastating effectiveness it works, a few recent examples may
still be useful because entrenched social power also has this thing
about quickly getting invisible, although no less potent for that.

Taking again from the serious attacks against the integrity of Norbert -
our duly elected co-coordinator -  one is reminded how very recently
some questions were raised on this list about very important
constitutive processes of multistakeholderism (MSiism) - with regard to
definitions and selection processes of representatives of the so-called
technical and academic community. In that case, the integrity of the
concerned 'high officers' (as in holders of a public duty, somewhat like
our co-cos) was never questioned by anyone. Simply some definition
clarifications were sought, and some corresponding arguments made. And
what happened? The concerned person gives one indirect response, which
includes a gross personal accusation against Michael, which was
confirmed later to be false, and refuses to engage from there on, even
to withdraw the false accusation (of what has now come to be known as
'double dipping'). Meanwhile, and see how the 'structure of power'
operates on this list, numerous contributions came down harshly on those
who had raised the process questions, attributing all kinds of personal
motives to those who raised the questions (please note at which point a
discussion is rendered ad hominen). Inter alia, I was accused repeatedly
of having a 'gotcha mentality'. Now, I can assure you friends, that when
a concerted 'shut up' attack of this kind is launched, using an
elaborate rank and file arrangement, and often employing sophisticated
English/ slang by native speakers, it is mostly enough to 'shut people
up'. I still want to know from the 'right thinking' but perhaps silent
people on this list why should such 'shutting up' tactics be accepted
and condoned, /which is where the shift to ad hominem first takes
place/, whereby political arguments are ascribed to personal
characteristics of the dissenting people.

To continue with explicating examples, a little later, I asked for a
discussion about the processes employed by civil society focal point for
CSTD selection, and even before anything substantial could be said or
discussed at all, words like 'gotcha thinking' and 'be careful' etc
begun flowing on the list. (Compare this with the unguarded allegations
against Norbert.) Rather amusing, but also very instructive of what are
the 'structures of power' on this list, and what political biases have
their way. (One member even asked me to be careful not to say anything
that may 'irritate him' - what cheek! Can anyone from the other side of
the 'political spectrum' ever aspire to such a high social standing
whereby such smug pre-warnings can be issued !!) While I wanted a simple
discussion, some process clarifications, and to contribute to codifying
procedures for the future, the fact is that the discussion simply could
not take place. Neither I have the clarifications I wanted, nor could we
codify good processes for the future. Such multifarious pressures and
tactics get brought into play, all of course based on the existing
'structure of power'.  Now if this is the fate of an effort initiated by
me who by any standard is rather hardened after all the skirmishes and
battles on this list (no doubt very tough to survive) one can predict
what may happen to any such move from other likely 'dissenters'. Well,
they mostly dont speak up. People recognise and work within the
'structure of power'. Not that they are necessary compromised thus, just
that the cost in terms of time, personal exposure etc becomes too much
for most.....

All this of course has a long and ongoing history. A few months back,
some of us trying to discuss problematic practices of google were told
to back off, and in rather harsh terms. This is the 'structure of
power'. People learn to estimate the cost of opening up certain issues
on this list, and that is what has the chilling effect. A list of taboo
issues has thus been created - and the cost of breaking these taboos is
clear. If a few hardier ones still persist, then they can be pulled into
personalised exchanges (employing some people relatively good at such
techniques) and the real options before those who seek to carry on doing
the required political work become rather difficult. I wont elaborate,
but one needs to be in such positions to know what it takes to persist
with ones political convictions and political work in such a situation.
It is rather too easy (and sometimes convenient) to take narrow
moralistic positions from rarefied heights on these issues, in a manner
that could be blind to the operation of the 'power structure' which
seeks to control the nature of debate in this civil society group.

The fact that accusations of political bias on Norbert are being made so
easily and repeatedly also follows the contours of such a power
structure. Were it that a person from the 'other side of the political
spectrum' had done but a fraction of what the 'offending member' did in
the present instance, he would have been chased off the list months
back. For the last many months almost anything I post on the list is
responded to almost immediately by the concerned member in a most
personalised ad hominem manner - of the kind ' you and/ or your
organisations is like this or that'.....  For months now I never reply
to his emails (please check archives). However, such a behaviour does
considerably constrain my ability to do a meaningful discussion on this
list. Still, neither did I seek his removal from the list or even
suspension, nor I do so now. He can stay, and we would manage rather
well despite him.

Our elected co-coordinator can so easily be subject to rather serious
allegations, and he responds to all of them without taking offence. On
the other hand, there are others from which even to ask clarificatory
questions leads to volleys of personalised accusations against those who
dare question, and other, often sophisticated, stonewalling tactics....
So if there indeed are political biases and power structures on this
list, the nature of them is quite evident.

It may be difficult to judge who is right and who less so in a debate,
or between two sides of a 'political spectrum'; however it is much
easier to judge who resists some kind of discussions and debates and who
and what kind of perspectives are victims of such resistance. Such an
exploration may be the best way to begin understanding what is happening
on the list, and what all the 'right thinking people' must stand up
against. Norbert merely acted against the steep gradient of existing
power structure in fulfilling his duty. The kind of allegations of
political bias that are pouring in is just the minimum he has to face.
He has also earned various kinds of black marks vis a vis the powerful
of the IG comity, and he will have to contend with the negative
consequences of concerning any kind of standing and growth in the global
IG space. But some people just take the attitude - what the heck, simply
stick to the principles, and ones political convictions. I congratulate
Norbert for that.

parminder