[governance] Re: What else is discrimination?

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 03:06:28 EDT 2013

Thanks for this clarification, and since we are in a phase about turning
over a new leaf:

The allegations against the coordinators is indeed a serious one, of
bias (understanding of course your decision was made not on one
incident). On the one hand it may be the usual tenor of the list - for
instance calling ad hominem as in one instance with a post by Gurstein,
that was followed the allegation, then promptly onto substantive
discussion. On the other, it is an allegation posted on the list for
consumption.

As this applies to the conduct of the co-co's as being biased against a
particular view on the political spectrum, this is very serious indeed.
As such I would like to know what you intend to do about these serious
allegations made against you that reflects not only on yourselves but
the IGC as well. IMHO a matter like this needs to be escalated so that
we all are comfortable with the process and continued role of the
co-co's. If an important constituency feels this way, left unaddressed,
it can only have a chilling effect.

So outside of the particular case that spurred this allegation (its
merits being a separate matter, detached but not unlinked), could you
please now deal with this serious allegation as we simply cannot have
people on this list feeling this way. As one Third Worldist I know all
too often the effects of marginalisation, and hope these allegations are
dealt with seriously, in strict accordance with the Charter and that it
is not left to fester. If handled correctly, it will go a long way to
chilling what ought to be limited, spurious allegations, and provide all
with the comfort that these kinds of allegations will be made in
circumstances that have an objective probability of success in
'prosecution'.

I am sorry to put you on the spot about this, but needs must. Thank you
for making this attempt, it cannot be easy, but I am sure many on this
list would like decorum on this list that is comfortable...

Riaz