[governance] Report of ICANN 46 Beijing meeting (1)

Izumi AIZU aizu at anr.org
Tue Apr 9 01:20:39 EDT 2013

I don't think ICANN - IGF is a kind of either or thing, though, of course,
IGF
does cover far broader and deeper public policy issues pertaining to the
Internet
than ICANN, I fully agree.

BUT, ICANN and its governance was the real starting point of the WSIS debate
on Internet Governance and root of the IGF as we know it.

Commercial interest domination can be also observed at IGF as Parminder
and others argued for the public funding. I am not [yet] fully persuaded by
the argument of public funding of UN. It also looks like UN domination, so
to speak. I would like to see multi-stakeholder funding even it is not fully
functional [yet]. But I might be wrong.

izumi

2013/4/9 Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org>

>  On 09/04/13 12:50, Fouad Bajwa wrote:
>
> One thing to remember about ICANN is that the addressing and name
> space is just like a phone book and there seems to be a continuous
> problem of falling out of scope of ICANN's mandate which remains the
> domain name and IP addressing space. The broader internet governance
> and internet public policy issues do incorporate to a certain access
> such critical internet resources and their sharing in discussions but
> I tend to become uncomfortable to how much emphasis is laid down in to
> ICANN as if it was responsible for engaging and providing internet
> access to 2 billion users. Its only one part of the stack and not
> actually the whole stack.
>

> I can't overstate how much I agree with this, though it's won't be news to
> most members of this list.  It all comes down to money though, doesn't it?
> The time and effort poured into its website and stakeholder engagement
> structures, its high-paid staff in offices around the world, the volunteers
> who queue up to donate their time, all seem like overkill when it comes
> down to the fact that it's all just about domain names and IP addresses.
> In comparison the IGF, which should be like an ICANN or an OECD for broader
> Internet governance issues, is beyond a joke, and it's not (only) due to
> incompetence or malice, it's due to lack of money.  It's a case of market
> failure: the free market oversupplies funding to ICANN, and undersupplies
> it to the IGF.  This makes Parminder's case for public funding of the IGF
> rather compelling, I would have thought.
>
> --
>
> *Dr Jeremy Malcolm
> Senior Policy Officer
> Consumers International | the global campaigning voice for consumers*
> Office for Asia-Pacific and the Middle East
> Lot 5-1 Wisma WIM, 7 Jalan Abang Haji Openg, TTDI, 60000 Kuala Lumpur,
> Malaysia
> Tel: +60 3 7726 1599
>
> WCRD 2013 – Consumer Justice Now! | Consumer Protection Map:
> https://wcrd2013.crowdmap.com/main | #wcrd2013
>
> @Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org |
> www.facebook.com/consumersinternational
>
> Read our email confidentiality notice<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>.
> Don't print this email unless necessary.

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

                        >> Izumi Aizu <<

                                  Japan
                                 * * * * *