[governance] Google's officer with detention order in brasil

Thiago Tavares Nunes de Oliveira thiagotavares at safernet.org.br
Fri Sep 28 14:53:04 EDT 2012

Em 28/09/2012, às 13:31, Milton L Mueller escreveu:

> What about the users? Shouldn’t they have a say in the rules?

Of course YES.  However, who has - or should have - the power and legitimacy to "decide" witch rules are acceptable when the users opinions are in conflict? One private company based in your own criteria or the judiciary branch based in the due process of law?

> Are you proposing to re-territorialize the Internet so that national governments can have full authority?

definitely NOT. What I am arguing is that when one international private company decide to make money and open a local office in a democratic country like Brazil, they should respect the judiciary branch and the due process of law.  I am not discussing the content of the local laws, but the risks to democracy to give to a private company the power and legitimacy to decide which laws and court orders they should comply with.  The risk, obvious, is to create a new kind of supranational "private court" based not in human rights international treaties and conventions, but in their own terms of services (new kind of transnational legislation for the Internet).

This commentator could be myself! I totally agree that the brazilian electoral law is anachronistic and very restrictive to freedom of expression. We said this in public when this case arose (https://twitter.com/safernet/status/246816290411524096  -  The Brazilian electoral legislation is draconian, analog and restrictive with freedom of expression of the citizens on the Internet. The censorship prevails in brazilians elections), and since the last election process in Brazil (2010) we are pushing pressure to reform this legislation and also for decriminalization of the defamation in Brazil.  However, the point here is not the content of the local laws, but the power and legitimacy of a private company to decide based on their own criteria what court orders should be respected or not in democratic - and sovereigh - countries like Brazil.

NO. I assume that you are very misinformed about the case and about my role and positions in this debate. Please take a look on the Google's statement on this case and also on the agreement signed before said certain things:

Google's Statement: http://www.orkut.com.br/Main#About?page=keep
Agreement signed: http://www.safernet.org.br/site/sites/default/files/TAC-MPF_Google-EN.pdf

--
Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antivírus da
SaferNet e acredita-se estar livre de perigo.