[governance] Google's officer with detention order in brasil

Thiago Tavares Nunes de Oliveira thiagotavares at safernet.org.br
Fri Sep 28 11:07:19 EDT 2012

Em 28/09/2012, às 10:35, Ivar A. M. Hartmann escreveu:

> For those overlooking the key issue in this and similar cases in Brazil, it is not whether Google wants to secure its holding as a market leader or ensure its profit. The key issue is free speech.

No, is it NOT. The key issue is about power, as highlighted on this Der Spiegel article:  http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/how-google-lobbies-german-government-over-internet-regulation-a-857654.html

The key issue on democracy countries like Brazil is:

"who sets the rules in this business: Google, with its terms of use, or the government and courts?"

I remember you that this was NOT the first time that the chief of Google's office in Brazil faces criminal charges for not comply with brazilians court orders. The former Google Brazil president (now Facebook VP for Latin America) was indicted in 2006/07 for not comply with dozens of brazilians court orders that demanded Orkut users data to assist brazilian law enforcement authorities on child sexual abuse and neonazi cases: http://www.prsp.mpf.gov.br/prdc/sala-de-imprensa/noticias_prdc/noticia-3294  (english auto translation: http://bit.ly/S62POw)

ps: an english background reading on this case is avaliable on WSJ website: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119273558149563775.html
--
Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antivírus da
SaferNet e acredita-se estar livre de perigo.