[governance] Brazil: president of Google arrested - liability of intermediaries

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Thu Sep 27 13:53:51 EDT 2012

Let us make sure we understand what happened:

1 an Internet user posts a video on Youtube which is considered
offensive by someone else (be this a politician or anyone else);

2 this someone else obtains from a judge an order for the host to remove
the offensive content (fair enough, this is an electoral process, the
someone else in the case is a candidate, and the tribunal is an
electoral tribunal with the constitutional mission to ensure free and
fair elections);

3 the host refuses to do so.

This is precisely what happened.

The real issue of free expression lies between [1] and [2]. If the host
does not comply with [3], I think in most legislations in democratic
countries the consequences would be the same.

In nearly all press stories about the case, no one mentions (or is
interested in knowing about) the originator of the supposedly offensive
content versus the offended, and keep focusing just on [3]...

frt rgds

--c.a.