[governance] Another case of local laws affecting a global content supplier

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 03:33:11 EDT 2012

> The judge ordered the removal of the videos last week, but Google has
> refused to remove them and says it is appealing.
>
> This is a fascinating case and one which the Courts in Brazil will view as
"contempt". What is not known to me is whether Google had applied for a
stay pending appeal as the report seems silent on the matter. I must say it
is interesting to see the different treatments in Korea, Brazil etc.

> It says it is not responsible for the content posted on its site.
>
> This makes a fascinating comparative exercise. 2012 seems to be the year
of an avalanche of these sorts of cases.

> According to Brazilian media, the videos in question suggest Alcides
> Bernal - a mayoral candidate in the city of Campo Grande - is guilty of
> committing crimes.
>
> I wonder if there are elements of truth which make it a defence in these
sorts of tort or whether it was someone's idea of a prank.

Judge Flavio Peren, who sits at a regional electoral court in Mato Grosso
> do Sul state, ruled the videos violated local election laws."
>
> Be great if our friends from Brazil and there are many on this list could
help give some perspective to the matter.

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/**world-latin-america-19724403<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-19724403>
> --
> Roland Perry

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/