[governance] Bangladesh Govt blocks YouTube

Norbert Klein nhklein at gmx.net
Tue Sep 18 10:55:20 EDT 2012

On 9/18/2012 8:14 PM, Matthias Pfeifer Freshmail wrote:
> Hello Fahd.
> Can you please go deeper in that translation issue? This would be very
> interesting i guess.
> Thank you.
> Matthias.

My example is not strictly similar, but also an uproar created by a
translation.

Some years ago I translated a newspaper article into English in October,
which was originally published in Khmer in August. It was a fairly
precise description of an alleged case of accepting bribes by a higher
level official.

I was called to court several times and it took quite some explanation
and effort to get me off the hook. What had happened?

When the article was published in a newspaper in Khmer, nobody cared,
because accusations of corruption were made frequently - and there was a
widely held opinion that corruption - payments under the table - are
common, and nobody can do much about it anyway.

But after my English translation was published, one of the local foreign
embassies wanted to know what was going on - and only then the "accused"
thought it was time to do some explaining: first of all that I should
withdraw what I had published. But it was only a translation...

That may mean - for this stupid film - as long as it was in English, it
did not catch much attention. But after there was a translated Arab
language version, some more people saw what it was - and many others who
had not seen it followed those who had seen it in their own language.

Norbert Klein
nhklein at gmx.net
http://www.thinking21.org
Phnom Penh/Cambodia