[governance] IPv4, R.I.P.: Europe hits old internet address limits

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Sep 18 10:30:02 EDT 2012

On Sep 18, 2012, at 3:27 AM, Fahd A. Batayneh <fahd.batayneh at gmail.com> wrote:
> For a country having a v4 pool of IP addresses ~3 times the number of its population, why on earth would they think about IPv6 seriously.

But they do take it seriously, probably because those IPv4 addresses are already allocated and the ISPs in the US, like ISPs everywhere, wish to continue to grow at minimal cost. In many cases, the challenge is dealing with the installed base of equipment that is not capable of supporting IPv6. When you have 25 million customers (like Comcast does so I hear) and each customer has a $30 piece of equipment that has to be replaced, you might begin to see why end user take up can be a bit slow.

Regards,
-drc