[governance] Re: [Chapter-delegates] Bangladesh Govt blocks YouTube - Sam Bacile videos?

Marcin Cieslak saper at saper.info
Mon Sep 17 19:00:21 EDT 2012

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012, Faisal Hasan wrote:

> On behalf of the Internet Society Bangladesh Dhaka Chapter may I request
> chapter delegates and people concerned with Internet governance issues to
> think about ways how we can address this sort of issues in future.

Dear Faisal,

I think we have this discussion pretty much everywhere now.

But first to take a position we need to gather some facts.
Here are some questions to you:

Are you relating to the so-called "Sam Bacile" videos
posted on YouTube (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innocence_of_Muslims)?

If yes, I would be grateful for more information especially from
the Muslim countries about how those relatively obscure videos
(posted in June) started to generate such a turmoil.

Here's what English Wikipedia says about the proliferation
of the video:

   By September, the film been dubbed into
   Arabic and was brought to the attention
   of the Arabic-speaking world by Coptic
   blogger Morris Sadek, whose Egyptian
   citizenship had been revoked for promoting
   calls for an attack on Egypt.[63][64]
   A two-minute excerpt dubbed in Arabic
   was broadcast on September 8 by Sheikh
   Khalad Abdalla[65] on Al-Nas, an Egyptian
   television station,[10][66] On September
   11, "Sam Bacile" YouTube account commented
   in Egyptian Arabic on a video from
   Al-Nahar TV uploaded 2 days earlier
   "يابهايم دة فيلم امريكي
   100%" which means: "Idiots, this is an
   American film 100%".[67]

Can anyone confirm the above?

Does anyone have links to the Arabic version
of those videos? I am interested (among
others) in number of views and comments.

Does anyone have an access to the alleged
full version of the movie? Or is the whole
discussion only about those two 14 minute
pieces?

One of the German influential politicians
on internal affairs, Mr Dieter Wiefelspütz,
commented today that "foreign policy reasons
are not enough to compromise constitutional
values".

Marcin Cieślak
Internet Society Poland