[governance] IPv4, R.I.P.: Europe hits old internet address limits

Walid AL-SAQAF <alkasir admin> admin at alkasir.com
Mon Sep 17 04:40:25 EDT 2012

Thanks Lee for bringing this up,

I've been asked by my students what is causing this slow shift for the rest
of the world. I tell them that it is a combination of determination by the
ISPs and the costs associated with new equipment, software, and solutions
to maintain a co-existence of both IPv4 and IPv6 (e.g., dual/IP stacking,
tunneling, etc.). Apparently, Norway has both a determination and enough
cash to get things moving quicker than the rest.

Though a bit old, this fine article by Geoff Duncan is very useful to have
a full idea of what is going on:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/world-ipv6-launch-day-explained-the-next-unseen-evolution-of-the-web/

Geoff says:

> Most ISPs don’t offer IPv6 connectivity to their customers — even if
> they’re starting to use it on their own networks — so even if you’re savvy
> enough to set up IPv6 on your own, the odds are good that you’ll be
> tunneling down to IPv4 as soon as you try to connect to the broader
> Internet.

I just tested with my own ISP here in Sweden and can verify the above!

Sincerely,

Walid

Walid Al-Saqaf
Founder & Administrator
alkasir for mapping and circumventing cyber censorship
https://alkasir.com <walid.al-saqaf at oru.se>

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 3:55 AM, Chaitanya Dhareshwar <chaitanyabd at gmail.com