[governance] The world’s first bill of internet rights

Ivar A. M. Hartmann ivarhartmann at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 21:39:05 EDT 2012

Dear Koven

I participated in a group effort over a year ago to fully translate the
draft framework to English. The version that was translated is now somewhat
outdated, but the overall organization of the bill, the themes covered and
even most of the articles remain unchanged. You'll find it attached.

There's also an good article by Carlos Affonso (list member) briefly
describing the bill and how it was created. See
here<http://direitorio.fgv.br/civilrightsframeworkforinternet>
.

Carlos, to your point about Ecuador already having established this in its
Constitution: this piece of legislation that we're currently hoping will be
voted by the Brazilian Congress contains both a bill of rights *and *a
legal framework. While it's true that Ecuador (and other countries) have
ICT-related rights enshrined in their Constitutions - and even art. 19 of
the Universal Declaration of Human Rights could be described as one -
Brazil will soon be the first country to adopt a detailed legal framework
for the enjoyment of internet-related rights. Just to give and example: it
mentions, among other issues, net neutrality, which is not present in the
Ecuador Constitution.

But above all, what sets the Civil Rights Framework for the Internet in
Brazil is the decentralized, collaborative and multistakeholder fashion by
way of which it was conceived.

Best regards,
Ivar