[governance] Re: Freedom of Expression #FoX #FoE #Yemen #Libya

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 21:22:13 EDT 2012

Sadly, two more lives have been claimed because of "hate speech"Statement
on the Deaths of Tyrone S. Woods and Glen A. Doherty in Benghazi, Libya

Press Statement
Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
Washington, DC
September 13, 2012

------------------------------

The attack on our diplomatic post in Benghazi, Libya on Tuesday claimed the
lives of four Americans. Yesterday, I spoke about two: Ambassador Chris
Stevens and Information Management Officer Sean Smith. Today, we also
recognize the two security personnel who died helping protect their
colleagues. Tyrone S. Woods and Glen A. Doherty were both decorated
military veterans who served our country with honor and distinction. Our
thoughts, prayers, and deepest gratitude are with their families and
friends. Our embassies could not carry on our critical work around the
world without the service and sacrifice of brave people like Tyrone and
Glen.

Tyrone’s friends and colleagues called him “Rone,” and they relied on his
courage and skill, honed over two decades as a Navy SEAL. In uniform, he
served multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. Since 2010, he protected
American diplomatic personnel in dangerous posts from Central America to
the Middle East. He had the hands of a healer as well as the arm of a
warrior, earning distinction as a registered nurse and certified paramedic.
All our hearts go out to Tyrone’s wife Dorothy and his three sons, Tyrone
Jr., Hunter, and Kai, who was born just a few months ago.

We also grieve for Glen Doherty, called Bub, and his family: his father
Bernard, his mother Barbara, his brother Gregory, and his sister Kathleen.
Glen was also a former Navy SEAL and an experienced paramedic. And he put
his life on the line many times, protecting Americans in Iraq, Afghanistan,
and other hotspots. In the end, he died the way he lived – with selfless
honor and unstinting valor.

We condemn the attack that took the lives of these heroes in the strongest
terms, and we are taking additional steps to safeguard American embassies,
consulates, and citizens around the world. This violence should shock the
conscience of people of all faiths and traditions. We appreciate the
statements of support that have poured in from across the region and
beyond. People of conscience and goodwill everywhere must stand together in
these difficult days against violence, hate, and division.

I am enormously proud of the men and women who risk their lives every day
in the service of our country and our values. They help make the United
States the greatest force for peace, progress, and human dignity that the
world has ever known. We honor the memory of our fallen colleagues by
continuing their work and carrying on the best traditions of a bold and
generous nation.

PRN: 2012/1440