[governance] United Airlines 'Network Outage' Snarls Air Travel

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Tue Sep 11 05:45:30 EDT 2012

On 11.09.12 12:09, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> Charity Gamboa<charityg at diplomacy.edu>  wrote:
>
>> You know - network outage may happen anywhere.
> It's possible to design a network for resilience, with enough
> redundancy to avoid any single points of failure. This is significantly
> more expensive (you don't only have to pay for more equipment, but
> also more expensive experts to design and implement it), but I think
> that an airline which doesn't have this kind of robust network really
> doesn't have any excuse.

Very much agree. The thing is, all these airlines claim, and are
"obviously" certified to have such infrastructure in place.
Not only the airlines, but everywhere around us there is too much public
infrastructure, that implemented in so many naive ways, that it barely
"somehow works".

It is not only about being "more expensive". These airlines probably
already paid more than enough to bunch of "certified experts" and all
sorts of consultants. Since networking of this kind is relatively "new",
the principle "anything goes" applies.

And, those people who endorse such lousy network implementations are the
same people who insist they should govern the Internet?

Daniel